Sunday, February 13, 2011

Biking and New People




So lately I have been feeling significantly better and I have even logged some decent hours on the bike and it hasn't been all Zone 1. First off, my Mom and I have discovered a way in which we can ride together and both be working fairly equal, however, there are some cons in this plan. So we have been riding side by side and I am pushing her with my right arm while she continues to pedal in a hard gear. I am amazed how efficient and fast we actually are, the con, however, is that my right arm is getting stronger than my left and I don't want another muscle imbalance. My Mom seems to love going fast though and better yet, she loves passing all of the men riding solo on the road. This is where my workout goes from Zone 2 to Zone 5 haha. As for training without an additional person, things are going pretty good. I have met up for some rides with a trialthon group led by Mitch Gold at Counterpart Coaching Systems. Annie Ewart and Leah Kirchman are also in town and joined in for some of the rides. The triathlon group are a group of people that amaze me with the amount of hours and training they put in. I actually think it is crazy, but I can appreciate what they are trying to achieve, so props to them. Yesterday was the Tour de Palm Springs which brought out thousands of people on bikes, chaos!. It was a great ride and a good pace, unfortunately, our friend, Peter, got a flat which disconnected us from the group we were originally in. We decided to take a bit of a short cut home :) which seemed like a good idea at the time, but as we were coming through the finish line so were the 55mile group. I have never seen so many close calls. People were all over the road and their bikes, I think some people might just dust off their bike and come out for this one very special day and it shows hahaha. There was one man that became part of our trio which included me, my Dad and Peter and he was the ultimate Mr. America. He was fully kitted out in a USA kit, high end bike and he was going at a solid clip, I was impressed. Okay I was getting a little irritated with him towards the end, but good for him for taking it to the line, and believe me when I say he was risking it all weaving through some of those people. I am sitting here laughing thinking about all of the funny event that took place yesterday, but words wouldn't do it justice. Well thats all I got for now, four more days and I am off to a camp in South Carolina.

1 comment: